chocolate tarte

the (mis)adventures of an aussie girl in a kitchen somewhere in europe

24 September 2006

not quite (a perfect )10


When I was little, my mum once made me a birthday cake in the form of an upright piano. With succulent milky chocolate icing and piano keys which were made out of black and white chocolate respectively. I don't know how she did it. But I do remember the giddy excitement I felt at seeing her masterpiece. Baked for me.

For Mr. 9's not quite 10th birthday (which explains the 10th really short candle) and propably at the age my mum was at that time, I managed to bake this. It is fun and delicious but it ain't no upright piano. In fact, I was really glad when on opening the oven door, the cake was still round! Confirming, once again that Bill Granger's recipes are indeed idiot-proof.

I'm sure Bill had in mind cooking this together with the kids which is a great idea because it is wonderfully simple. But we wanted to surprise Mr. (now) 10 with a birthday eve delight. He and Mr. Big loved the cake but the m+m's mysteriously disappeared first.



Easy-mix chocolate cake with real chocolate frosting (from Bill Granger)
makes about 12 slices
280g plain flour
2 and a half teaspoons baking powder
50g cocoa powder
220g caster sugar
250g soft butter
4 eggs
170ml milk

frosting:
300g dark chocolate, chopped
375ml sour cream

decorate with:
m+m's and the appropriate number of candles

Heat the oven to 180C and grease 2x20 cm cake tins. Sift the flour, baking powder, cocoa and sugar into a bowl and mix together. Add in the butter, eggs and milk and beat on a low speed for a minute or until smooth. Spoon into the 2 cake tins and bake for about 25 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Leave for about 5 minutes and then turn out of the tins and onto wire racks to cool.
When the cakes are cool, carefully melt the chocolate in a double boiler. Leave to cool for 15 minutes then stir in the sour cream. Using a spatula, spread a third of the chocolate cream mixture over one cake and then stack with the other. Spread the rest of the frosting over the top and around the sides and decorate with m+m's or other brightly coloured candy.




1 Comments:

  • At 11:45 PM, Anonymous Anonym said…

    I bet your mother made you the piano cake because you were the most adorable little girl in the world! And I'm sure she retired to a darkened room to lie down afterwards - whereas this looks like a real "fun" chocolate cake - exactly right for Mr 10 (and Mr Big)

     

Kommentar veröffentlichen

<< Home